28.2.12

CINNAMON SUGAR-COATED MAPLE APPLE CAKES

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

These little beauties came into fruition after I bought some cool mini bundt tins and wanted to find a recipe which would utilise them. They have a sort of cinnamon sugar apple donut thing going on; light and cakey in the middle with a slightly crunchy cinnamon perfumed exterior.

Following a lengthy debate surrounding condiments, my mum and I decided that the best accompaniment would be something hot and runny, à la custard or a caramel sauce.






Cinnamon Sugar-Coated Maple Apple Cakes
From Donna Hay
If I made these again I think I would substitute red apples for granny smith's as I like the tartness. Also, I felt they were best consumed hot out of the oven - they are at their fluffiest when warm, and by the following day the cinnamon sugar will have evaporated into the cakes.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250g butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
cup maple syrup
4 eggs
6 red apples, peeled and grated
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, extra
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar

Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Place the flour and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs and apple and mix well to combine. Spoon into 12 x well greased 1 cup-capacity (250ml) Bundt tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Turn out immediately. Place the extra cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Coat the cakes in the sugar and cool. Makes 12.

3 comments: